Love for a lifetime

Love for a lifetime

Friday, November 5, 2010

Where I come from...


He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

            It’s so easy to forget where we come from. We forget the things and/or people that had an impact on our lives. I think about some of the people who have taught me some very valuable things-the things that matter in the end.  Some of those people grew up poor but gained wealth later in life, some remained poor and struggled to put food on the table for their families. One thing I have noticed as I look back is that they may have been poor, but they were rich in faith and in their faithfulness to Christ. They were content. Benjamin Franklin said, “Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor. Pretty accurate statement, huh?
 I grew up in the small town of Yemassee. I left for a while but somehow made it back. 
 Growing up in a small town never really bothered me. We traveled alot when I was younger, so I’m sure that helped.
 Even though I didn’t have any siblings, I had my cousin Travis (we did everything together) and a few of the friends we hung out with. We all had such an imagination and we always found stuff to do.( And by the way, they were all boys! You just take what you’re given in that aspect of living in a small town.) We always had fun. Good,clean fun! We were like the “Sandlot” gang. In fact, that was our favorite movie. Every chance we got, we would have my mom fix us some snacks and we would huddle up on the floor in front of the T.V. to watch it! We even had our own little baseball team like “The Sandlot”! I have such great memories of growing up here.
            Just like any other place you go, this town has its pros and cons. Sure it would be easier for me to live closer to a doctor’s office or grocery store and especially a mall! But, I enjoy the small town atmosphere. I love being somewhere I can stroll up and down the street with my children and know that at least three out of the five cars that pass us, are people we know. I like that I can smile and wave at them and that they will do the same in return. I also know that while it would be easier to live closer to the things I mentioned, God has placed us here for a purpose. He has revealed a few of his purposes for our being here, but I know that he hasn't revealed them all,otherwise we wouldn't still be here.   I’m glad that I can share a part of myself and my past with my children. 
Perhaps when they are older and have kids, they will visit this small town and be able to share a part of themselves.
            My main point is that it’s not about how big or small the town or city you are in.
It’s about growing where you're planted. Making your mark and doing what God has called you to do while you are there.
It's about the people He has placed in your life to teach you the things that matter and about the experiences that form your character.
You may end up leaving and moving on to bigger things, but always remember where you come from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment