Love for a lifetime

Love for a lifetime

Monday, November 8, 2010

Anger. A secondary emotion.......

I am so angry!!!! That’s exactly what I kept repeating to myself yesterday afternoon. I couldn’t scream it out loud, because that would not be setting a good example for the kids. The more I thought about what a couple of people said and did to me, the angrier I got. If you know me, you know that when I’m angry I clean like there’s no tomorrow. Oh, and the angrier I get, the faster I clean! (I’m sure it’s pure entertainment for those who witness this.)In all seriousness, cleaning really does help me stop and think things through. Needless to say, I cleaned alot yesterday and as I did, these are the thoughts that crossed my mind...... 
            I recently heard a broadcast by Chip Ingram. He was talking about how anger is a secondary emotion. He pointed out that our anger is often the result of an unmet need, or because we have been hurt. Well there you go. Both of those things had provoked my anger yesterday. So, problem solved right? No! Just because I knew the why didn’t help with the how. How I needed to deal with my anger.How I was planning on getting these two people to feel the same way they made me feel. Bad Idea! Remember how your Momma and Daddy would look at you with those raised eyebrows and say, “don’t even think you are about get away with that under this roof!”  That’s exactly what I felt God saying to me as that thought crossed my mind! Then this passage came to mind-Matthew 5:38-42, “You have heard it was said, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I tell you, don’t resist an evildoer. On the contrary, if anyone slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. As for the one who wants to sue you and take away your shirt, let him have your coat as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to the one who asks you, and don’t turn away from one who wants to borrow from you.”  It’s so wonderful to know that God is constantly dealing with the sinful ways in us.  It’s so great to know that the deeper our relationship with Christ, the more convictions He places in our heart. I have to admit that sometimes I wish I didn’t know better, because doing the right thing is so much harder! I guess it’s the whole “ignorance is bliss” mentality.
            Then I was thinking…It’s a known fact-The harder we run after God, the harder Satan runs after us.  He doesn’t want us working for God because he feels defeated. Personally, I would rather be used by God than by Satan. If I were to follow through with my sinful desire to get even, I would be working against God.
            Aside from the fact that I wanted to get even, since when did I become so perfect? Can someone say Prideful spirit! Last time I checked, Jesus was the only sinless person on earth. I’ve done more than my fair share of provoking someone to anger. John 8:7 says, “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.” Furthermore, I don’t need to be worrying about someone else’s sins. I need to be concerned with my own.  Matthew 7:3 says, “Why do you see the speck in your brother’s eye, but don’t notice the log that is in your own eye?” I think……No, I KNOW that God was reminding me that I needed to show some humility. I know because the last verse that came to mind was James 4:6, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
            So, how did I handle those who provoked my anger? Well, I swallowed my pride and showed some humility!

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer, block out the bad things that people say and do because you're a great person! Wish I had the ability to swallow my pride a little bit more than I do! Great post. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where have u been the past few years, please refer me back to this when im angry. I need to hear this at least once a week to keep me in check. On the flip side, why do people feel its necessary to be rude?

    ReplyDelete