Love for a lifetime

Love for a lifetime

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Family

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

I have been blessed with a family who gives selflessly to others. I do believe this is one instance where I'm unable to put into words how extremely thankful I am to call my family mine. 

My Dad's parents came down Saturday evening to keep Jude and Hayden so that Ryan and I would be able to attend a celebration in honor of my Mom's father/My grandfather, J.L. Goodwin and another gentleman, Mr. Willie Coker. 
These two men were honored because of the character, integrity, respect and honor they maintained while serving others. They both received a document signed by our Governor Nikki Haley as well as a plaque. . 

While I sat and listened to several people speak about my Grandfather Goodwin, I was encouraged. 
My favorite speech of the night was hearing my grandfather's friend Jim tell about the life-long friendship between his wife and my Grandmother. He made it quite obvious how vital their ''proverbs 31" wives were and continue to be in their successes. 
I have heard my Grandfather say the same thing so many times.

There have been so many countless ways my Grandfather has served others because he saw a need and was able to provide help. He didn't want any credit for it or to be noticed. He served these people and gave because that is his character. 
He see's what needs to be done and he does it. No questions asked.
He displays what a real man of God looks like. 
He has taught me so much in my lifetime...so much about life and faith.
He has always provided an example of great leadership and shown me how to serve my family and others. 
He instilled in me perseverance, steadfastness and how to be strong in the midst of crisis. He has set an example of being a victor not a victim. How to take what life throws at you, use it as a learning experience and move forward.

I hope I'm able to pass all of these things down to my kids.

 

I see so much of my Grandfather in Ellie Kate. She is strong-willed, a high achiever and has a true concern for others. She is a giver. 
Today I attended her school to watch her walk across the stage and receive a terrific kid award. I heard so many of the same words used for her that I heard used in reference to my Grandfather. My heart was bursting with gladness because I know that she is going to achieve great things..just like her great-grandfather.
I am so proud of both of them and even more proud to call them mine!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment