Love for a lifetime

Love for a lifetime

Monday, January 10, 2011

A poem for Ellie Kate

My mother taught me all these things
And now I’m teaching you,
So here they are sweet, little girl,
In a poem just for you-

I taught you how to clap your hands,
And the game of peek-a-boo.
You wiggled your toes and laughed,
And then began to coo.

I taught you words like Mama,
And how the cow says moo.
How I’ll always love you,
And that Daddy loves you too.

I taught you how to jump and dance,
your 1,2,3’s and A,B,C’s;
About telling someone thank you,
And always saying please.

I taught you how to say your prayers,
About God’s grace, and how He cares;
About Showing others kindness
And how you’re supposed to share.

Everything I taught you,
I taught you so you’d know-
The love a mother shares and gives
Forever in you lives.

I’ve so much more to teach you
About beauty and self-worth.
And someday soon you’ll understand
They can’t be found on earth.

I’ve so much more to teach you
About life and love and God;
About all the things that mold you
And make you who you are.

One more thing I’ll teach you,
By my example you’ll see-
The joys of being a Mother
Come from more than you and me. 

2 comments:

  1. How awesome is that!! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great mother Jennifer. Ellie Kate is so lucky to always have this poem. It's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete