Love for a lifetime

Love for a lifetime

Monday, December 13, 2010

A railroader's daughter.

Ring!......... Ring!! I carefully opened one eye to peek at the clock which read 4:32 a.m. Then, I heard Stephen on the phone with his boss in the other room. It took me a minute to gain my senses, but not long because Jude must have heard the phone and he woke up crying for a bottle.  I jumped up and rushed to the kitchen to fix Jude a bottle and listened to Stephen's conversation as I fed him. I gathered from the conversation that Stephen was going to have to go out of town.
Stephen was supposed to be working in Yemasse today so, I had not cooked breakfast yet or even thought about packing his lunch. I remained unrushed however, because one thing I have learned as a railroader's daughter is that you must always expect the unexpected.  Railroad men work very hard and they put in very long hours. And you never, ever know when they are going to get a phone call that something needs their attention and expertise.
I admire my Daddy, Stephen and every other employee of the railroad for the work they do. I also admire the several other Wive's who stand by their railroad husbands and put in just as many long hours in the home.    
As soon as I fed Jude and layed him back down, I headed back to the kitchen to prepare Stephen's meals for the day and get him ready to head out the door. Which was going to be heading out in 22 degree weather, by the way.
While I was preparing everything, I started to remember Daddy's early years on the Railroad. I remembered myself being a teenager and hearing his phone ring at 1,2, or 3 a.m. and I would just roll over and go back to sleep after it stopped ringing.  
I was thinking how, as a teenager, I probably would have grumbled or complained if I couldn't have gone back to sleep, but not now. I consider it an honor to serve my husband at 2,3, and in today's case, 4a.m.
I consider it an honor, because I am thankful for a husband who provides for his family. I am thankful that he has a great job and that even though he works long, stressful hours, I know that we will be well taken care of. 
"Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people."Colossians 3:23
This is such and important verse in the life of a believer.What's just as important is the verses that preceed it. I love the whole chapter of Colossians 3, but verses 18-25 are such helpful verses for us as a family. Paul gives us plain instructions on how a christian household should be run.
I took these verses from the message bible for a better understanding of what they mean:
Colossians 3:18-25
18Wives, understand and support your husbands by submitting to them in ways that honor the Master.
 19Husbands, go all out in love for your wives. Don't take advantage of them.
 20Children, do what your parents tell you. This delights the Master no end.
 21Parents, don't come down too hard on your children or you'll crush their spirits.
 22-25Servants, do what you're told by your earthly masters. And don't just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn't cover up bad work.


These verses are such an encouragement to me as a wife, mother, and follower of Jesus Christ.  The most important thing is for Stephen and me to pass these verses down to our children, not just by telling them but by showing them.
I'm so grateful to God for preparing me as a teenager to understand the work that Stephen is doing now. All those years of watching my Daddy work faithfully for the Railroad helps me to understand and know how to come alongside and encourage Stephen.
I don't want it to stop there. I want Ellie Kate to learn this principle whether she marry's a railroader or someone with a different occupation.
I want Jude to learn this because one day he will be providing for his own family.
These principles are so, so crucial in our work ethic because, afterall, we are not doing this work for others. The work we do is for the one, true Master-Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Love reading this. The phone calls Stephen gets at 2 in the morning sound a lot like the calls Justin gets. You're such a great mother and wife. It was great seeing you and Jude today! He's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete