Love for a lifetime

Love for a lifetime

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A kingdom heart.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21)

"Thank you for making us the most important thing to you mommy. I'm so glad you don't have to be at work when I get home from school." -Ellie Kate 
I dropped everything and immediately embraced my sweet girl when she said that. I squeezed her. Then I whispered softly as my voice cracked that I loved her and Jude and that I would choose them everyday. 
My main goal as a mother is to raise children who know and love Christ. To raise them in the truth and knowledge that our treasure is not in anything this world has to offer; but that our treasure is in the things that are valuable to God. To invest my time in making our home a home where they know they are treasured, feel valued, loved, safe and secure.
God makes it so clear how much He values children. In Matthew 19:14, Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
Being a single mom is the hardest job I have ever had. Being a single mom and a stay at home mom is even harder. I sacrifice often, but I would choose to store up treasures in heaven through the hearts of my little ones above acquiring earthly 'stuff' over and over again.
I want Ellie Kate and Jude to know that it's okay to have "stuff" but that it shouldn't be our treasure. I want them to be content when they are given much and just as content when they're given little. 
Sometimes I do wish I could give them more. There are days I feel like I let them down by not being able to get them certain things...but then there are moments that far outweigh those times-Moments when I see the fruits of choosing to be content in our circumstances and blessings that come from living a life with a kingdom heart. 
Moments like the one above- when I know Ellie Kate understands that I sacrifice "stuff" because I love them more and that someone's heart and eternal life (especially theirs) are far more important. 
I am always so humbled when I witness God work these truths together and allow these things to flow through the hearts of Ellie Kate and Jude. My heart melts when I witness them love and give with unclenched fists. 
I become overwhelmed with joy watching them give of their earthly possessions so generously to others. I smile when I watch them give out hugs and encourage others just as generously as they give out the clothes and toys they've outgrown.
My hope is that even in my failures I'm able to continually set an example of and instill in my children the kind of heart that pursues the things that matter to God. 
I hope that they will hold fast to the knowledge that a kingdom heart is a blessed heart; that a life lived with unclenched fists leaves open hands to receive God's best for their lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment